Daniel Bouland, MD, MS, FACP
Health Sciences Clinical Professor of Medicine
Interim Chief of Hospital Medicine,
Vice Chair for Clinical Operations,
Department of Medicine
Director of Evaluations, Clinical and Translational Research Institute
Telephone (619) 471-9186
Mail Code 8485
Dr. Daniel L. Bouland joined the faculty of UCSD in 2006. His training and career history are replete with administrative, clinical, and academic excellence.
Dr. Bouland graduated from Loma Linda University School of Medicine with Alpha Omega Alpha honors and completed an internal medicine residency at the same institution. In 2009, a master’s degree in health care management was earned from Harvard University School of Public Health. Board certifications are held in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine and Managed Care Medicine.
Past positions include Chief, Department of Medicine, Riverside County Regional Medical Center; Vice-Chairman, Department of Medicine, Loma Linda University; Co-Director, Internal Medicine Residency Training Program, Loma Linda University; acting medical director, California Medical Review, Inc.; and CEO/President, Mission Medical Group of the Inland Empire (an IPA). While with the VA Pacific Islands Health Care System, Honolulu, Dr. Bouland served as Associate Chief of Staff for Primary Care and Medicine then accepted the position of Director of the Office of Referral and Management Services, providing oversight for all clinical care in the Pacific domain.
Currently, as an attending physician at Hillcrest and Thornton hospitals, Dr. Bouland engages in patient care and house staff instruction, recently receiving an Excellence in Teaching award. Numerous administrative and academic duties occupy Dr. Bouland when he is not on the wards. As the Department of Medicine Vice Chair for Clinical Operations, Dr. Bouland and his team are launching innovative methods to enhance the value of patient care, aka the CORE initiative. The recently assumed position of Director of Evaluations for the UCSD CTRI adds an active role in research venues.
Also of interest is Dr. Bouland’s international experience as lecturer and medical care provider in countries such as Saudi Arabia, Brunei, Singapore, the Philippines, Guam, and Palau. He established a western-style internal medicine residency training program in Hangzhou, China, which continues in operation.
- Bouland DL, Doram K. Thyroid function tests-the next generation. West J Med. 1994;160:248-9.
- Doram K, Bouland DL. Diabetes mellitus-new hope for an old disease. West J Med. 1994;160:250-1.
- Bloomfield HE, Nelson DB, van Ryn M, Neil BJ, Koets NJ, Basile JN, Samaha FF, Kaul R, Mehta JL, Bouland D. A trial of education, prompts, and opinion leaders to improve prescription of lipid modifying therapy by primary care physicians for patients with ischemic heart disease. Qual Saf Health Care. 2005;14:258-63. (Formerly A.I.2)
- Bouland DL, Fink EJ, Fontanesi J. Introduction of the balanced scorecard into an academic department of medicine: creating a roadmap to success. J Med Pract Man. 2011;6:331-5.
- Eftakhari K, Fontanesi J, Feld G, Bouland D, Raisinghani AB, Knowlton K. Stochastic modeling of patient arrival offset times in scheduled visits. American Journal of Operational Research. 2011;1(1):1-5.
- Fink E, Fontanesi J, Dehaan C, Bouland, DL. The triple crown of breakthrough performance: vision+planning+optimization. Academic Internal Medicine Insight. 2012;10(2):9-12.
- Bouland DL, Fink E, Dehaan C, Fontanesi J. Data envelopment analysis: dynamic possibilities in an academic medical center application. Medical Practice Management. Sept/Oct 2012:1-7.
- Loo LK, Byrne JM, Shankel T, Bouland D. Is there reciprocity in evaluations between resident and attending physicians? JGIM. 1998:13 (supplement 1). ABSTRACT
- Loo LK, Byrne JM, Shankel T, Bouland D. Factors affecting resident evaluations of attending physicians. JGIM. 1998:13 (supplement 1). ABSTRACT
- Fink E, Fontanesi J, Dehaan C, Bouland D. The triple crown of breakthrough performance: vision+planning+optimization. Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine, Oct 19-23, 2011 Anaheim, CA. ABSTRACT.
- Bouland DL, Specht NL, Hegstad DR. Ibuprofen and aseptic meningitis. Ann Intern Med. 1986;104:731. (Letter)
- Bouland DL. Keeping up your medical knowledge. Physician’s Newsletter, Riverside General Hospital/University Medical Center. July 1991. (Letter)
- Cheek GA, Bansal RL, Bouland DL, Vhymeister E. Embryonal carcinoma of the testis presenting as a left heart mass. J Am Soc Echo. 1991;4:76-8. (Case Report)
- Fink E, Fontanesi J, Alexander A, Dworschak D, Bouland D. Transforming organizational performance: a model for evaluating the effectiveness of a CTSA. Evaluation Key Functions Committee Annual Meeting. Oct 9 2012; Bethesda MD. (Poster)