Pouya Afshar, MD
Health Sciences Assistant Clinical Professor
Telephone (619) 471-9186
Mail Code 8485
Dr. Afshar joined the Division of Hospital Medicine faculty in September 2010.
He received his MD degree from the University of Texas, Galveston, in 2007. In 2010, he completed his internal medicine residency at the Scripps Clinic/Green Hospital in La Jolla, California.
Dr. Afshar also holds an MBA degree from Texas A&M University.
He currently holds a California Medical License and is board certified in Internal Medicine.
- Afshar Pouya, Holick Michael, Molina Gaston. Effects of Sunlight on Vitamin D Production. Scripps Clinic Grand Rounds (May 2010). In process of submission for publication.
- Afshar Pouya, Adams N, Afshar Payam. An Unusual Case of Weakness: The Lambert-Eaton Syndrome. Poster - American College of Physicians Southern California Regional Meeting, 2009.
- Choi E, Afshar P, Coyle W. Health Literacy Among Patients Taking NSAIDs and Proton Pump Inhibitors. Poster – Digestive Disease Week 2008.
- Afshar P, Jamil S, Hall W. The Not-So-Good Pasture: A Case of Acute Renal Failure Secondary to Anti-Glomerular Basement Disease. Poster - American College of Physicians Southern California Regional Meeting, 2008.
- Afshar P, Hu S, Johnson A. Thoracic Aortic Dissection Secondary to Idiopathic Retroperitoneal Fibrosis. Poster - American College of Physicians Southern California Regional Meeting, 2007.
- Jamali A, Hilpert A, Debes J, Afshar P, Rahban S, Holmes R. Hydroxyapatite/calcium carbonate (HA/CC) vs. plaster of Paris: a histomorphometric and radiographic study in a rabbit tibial defect model. Calcif Tissue Int. Aug 2002;71(2):172-178.
- Jamali AA, Afshar P, Abrams RA, Lieber RL. Differential expression of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) after tenotomy in rabbit skeletal muscle. J Orthop Res. Mar 2002;20(2):364-369.
- Benz R, Ibrahim Z, Afshar P, Garfin S. Predicting complications in elderly patients undergoing lumbar decompression. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Mar 2001;384:116-21.
- Jamali A, Afshar P, Abrams R, Lieber R. Skeletal muscle response to tenotomy. Muscle Nerve. June 2000;23(6):851-862.
- Arm D, Lemperle S, Hilpert A, Calhoun C, Afshar P, Shors E. Enhancement of Bone Formation in a Canine:Radial Defect Using Autologous Growth Factors. Trans Orthop Res Soc. 2000;25:183.
- Debes J, Jamali A, Hilpert A, Afshar P, Shors E. Comparison of Bone Ingrowth, Resorption, and Biomechanics of Porous Resorbable Ceramic Granules of Plaster of Paris Pellets in a Rabbit Tibia Model. Trans Orthop Res Soc. 1999;24:528.
- Jamali A, Afshar P, Abrams R, Lieber R. Expression of Neural Cell Adhesion Molecule (NCAM) In Tenotomized Skeletal Muscle. Trans Orthop Res Soc. 1998;23:164.